What is Occupational Therapy?
C.S. Lewis once said, “You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.” When an individual is faced with a new injury, illness, or surgery they may experience challenges, ranging from difficulty buttoning their shirt to reaching down to tie their shoes. In Occupational Therapy, we will assist you with finding alternative methods to complete these so called, “easy tasks.” Not only do we complete adaptive equipment training, we also will use various modalities such as; ultrasound, electrical stimulation, fluidotherapy, soft tissue mobilization, kinesotaping, and splinting. However, an occupational therapist doesn’t just stop there, the list could go on and on but here are just a few diagnoses and services here at JCHC:
· Carpal tunnel
· Tennis Elbow or Golfers Elbow
· Post-surgical difficulties
· Driving Screens and gas break reaction timer
· Shoulder, elbow, and hand injuries and surgeries
· Post stroke or head injury; ADL difficulties
· Cardiac or Pulmonary Disorders
· Low Vision
· Home safety evaluations in preparation for discharge home from in-patient rehab
· Decreased upper body strength and fine motor coordination
· Pediatrics; if a child is having difficulties reaching or falling behind on their age appropriate milestones
If you are experiencing any of the above difficulties please contact your doctor for an Occupational Therapy referral here at Jefferson County Health Center.
Here at Jefferson County Health Center you will meet the dynamic duo, Kelsey Rubey, OTD,OTR/L and Rachel Shaw, COTA/L. Both ladies were born and raised in the Jefferson County area and have come home to serve the people of this community. Kelsey graduated with her Doctorate in Occupational Therapy from Creighton University in Omaha, Nebraska. She recently got married and loves spending her time cooking, decorating her new house, and spending time outside with her husband and puppy. Rachel Shaw, COTA/L graduated from Indian Hills Community College in 2014. She enjoys completing DIY projects, cooking, gardening, and spending time outdoors with her 4 legged best friend along with her 2 legged friends and family.