Public Records Request
What is a Public Record?
According to Chapter 22 of the Iowa Code, "public records" include all records, documents, tape, or other information, stored or preserved in any medium, of or belonging to this state or any county, city, township, school corporation, political subdivision, nonprofit corporation other than a county or district fair or agricultural society, whose facilities or indebtedness are supported in whole or in part with property tax revenue which is licensed to conduct parimutuel wagering pursuant to chapter 99D, or tax-supported district in this state, or any branch, department, board, bureau, commission, council, or committee of any of the foregoing.
Are Medical records part of a public records request?
No. Medical records are NOT considered a public record and may not be requested in this manner. To make a request to view or receive your medical records, or the medical records of a patient, please use our Release of Information Form, found here.
How can I submit a public records request?
A public records request for Jefferson County Health Center is facilitated through the Administration office. Records requests may be made in any of the following ways:
- Written letter to: Chief Executive Officer, Jefferson County Health Center, 2000 S. Main St., Fairfield, IA 52556
- Email PublicRecords@JeffersonCountyHealthCenter.org
- Call the Administration Office to make a request at 641-472-4111
A Public Record Request Form must be completed as part of a records request. Individuals should include the following information on their request form:
- Individual's name, address, and phone number
- The type of record sought
- The start and end date of the time period to be searched
- The author and/or recipient of the record requested, to the extent possible
- The type of record medium to be searched (e.g., letters, memorandum, reports, recordings, etc.)
The Public Record Request Form may be downloaded here.
If records requested are considered to be public records, and photocopies are requested, a photocopying fee shall be charged before releasing the records:
- 0-20 pages: $20.00
- 21-30 pages: $20.00 plus $1.00 per page
- 31-100 pages: $20.00 plus $0.50 per page
- 101-200 pages: $20.00 plus $0.25 per page
- 201+ pages: $20.00 plus $0.10 per page
If extensive staff time is required to retrieve the records, a fee based on the hourly rate of the employee(s) will be charged.
Confidential records may be withheld, and confidential information within an otherwise open record may be redacted prior to a record's release for public examination and copying. If a confidential record is withheld, or confidential information redacted from public record, legal counsel will identify the documents and cite the applicable provision of law that supports the decision to withhold the confidential information from public examination.
To reiterate, hospital records, medical records, and professional counselor records of the condition, diagnosis, care, or treatment of a patient or former patient or a counselee or former counselee, including outpatient treatment, are considered confidential records.