Ten Safety Tips for this 4th of July
1. Be sure fireworks are legal in your area before using or buying them.
2. Always have an adult supervise fireworks activities and never allow children to play with or ignite fireworks. Sparklers alone account for one quarter of emergency room fireworks injuries.
3. If you set off fireworks, keep a bucket of water handy in case of malfunction or fire.
4. If fireworks malfunction, don’t relight them! Douse and soak them with water then throw them away.
5. Never ignite fireworks in a container, especially one that is glass or metal.
6. Use your grill well away from your home and deck railings, and out from under branches or overhangs.
7. Open your gas grill before lighting.
8. Periodically remove grease or fat buildup in trays below your gas or propane grill so it cannot be ignited.
9. Declare a three-foot "kid and pet-free zone" around the grill to keep them safe.
10. Avoid loose clothing that can catch fire when cooking on the grill.
JCHC wishes you a safe and happy 4th of July.